Monday, March 10, 2008

Chapter Eight

Song Lyric: Kid Rock and Faith Hill


Livin' my life in a slow hell Different girl every night at the hotel I ain't seen the sun shine in 3 damn days Been fuelin' up on cocaine and whisky Wish I had a good girl to miss me Lord I wonder if I'll ever change my ways I put your picture away Sat down and cried todayI can't look at you while I'm lyin' next to her I put your picture away, sat down and cried today I can't look at you, while I'm lyin next to her[Sherly Crow]I called you last night in the hotel Everyone knows but they wont tell But their half hearted smiles tell me Somethin' just ain't right I been waitin' on you for a long time Fuelin' up on heartaches and cheap wine I ain't heard from you in 3 damn nights I put your picture away I wonder where you been I can't look at you while I'm lyin' next to him I put your picture away I wonder where you been I can't look at you while I'm lyin' next to him I saw ya yesterday with an old friend [Kid Rock]It was the same ole same "how have you been" [Both]Since you been gone my worlds been dark & grey [Kid Rock]You reminded me of brighter days [Sheryl Crow]I hoped you were comin' home to stay I was headed to church[Kid Rock]I was off to drink you away [Both]I thought about you for a long time Can't seem to get you off my mind I can't understand why we're living life this way I found your picture today I swear I'll change my ways I just called to say I want you to come back home I found your picture today I swear I'll change my ways I just called to say I want you to come back home I just called to say, I love you come back home-Picture





This lyric relates to the chapter because through out chapter eight Gatsby talks about how he can't leave Daisy behind. Nick suggest that he should move and lay low but won't because his love for Daisy is to strong to live without. This song is saying that your on my mind all the time both good and bad thoughts. But they are over all the drama and finally is putting there picture away for good to stop thinking of them. As times goes on though they realize they need each other and even though they put it away. But they still care for each other they realize even after they try to forget about each other does not mean there done. I felt this related perfect with Daisy and Gatsby because they can not live without each other but they can not deny there feelings for one another.





Quotes:




  1. "... Daisy a sense of security; he let her believe that he was a person from much the same strata as herself- that he was fully able to take care of her" (156). This is explaining how Gatsby would say and do anything for Daisy just so she would give him the time of day to show her how much he cared for her. This quote explains that she has no reason to be scared to think she would not be finical and physically secure with Gatsby. But he is saying here that she does not have to worry about that.


  2. "He found her excitingly desirable"(155). Although this quote is short is explains so much with Gatsby and his feelings toward Daisy. It shows that Gatsby needed her in his life as if she was an addiction to his heart. He could not be without her but he knows there is no way he can be with her.


  3. "But what gave it an air of breathless intensity was that Daisy lived there..."(155). This quote explains when he was in her house that it was beautiful, big, and more but the thing that made it vibe was that Daisy lived in it. The presence of Daisy by or around Gatsby makes him feel a burst of happiness which he wishes to crave the rest of his life with her.


  4. "It excited him too that many men had already loved Daisy-it increased her value in his eyes" (156). This quote shows that even though Daisy has and is loved by many other guys he does not care. All he cares about is that he has her attention now, the thought of the other guys just makes it a challenge for him. The challenge to gave the love, trust, and more of this one girl he has fallen for.


Summary:

The theme i felt that describe chapter eight the best would be love. The reason love is the theme of chapter eight is because it talks about Gatsby's feelings for Daisy. He can not be with her but can not live without her. Gatsby wants and needs to move but won't because Daisy can not go with him. Daisy has feelings for Gatsby but doesn't go with him because she is married to Tom and she thinks it just won't work out. She thinks it won't work out physically, emotionally, and financially so she makes the decision to stay with Tom even though she has fallen for Gatsby. As you can see they both have uncontrolled love for each other but are driven apart by unfortunate circumstances.

No comments: